Its Faculty includes eminent professors, important intellectuals and prolific thinkers, who fill the auditoriums and classrooms and contribute to the University being widely acknowledged on a national level, more so since several of its professors have been appointed to high offices, for example as Presidents of the Hellenic Republic, such as M. Stassinopoulos and K. Tsatsos. Many of its faculty members ascended to high level offices in international institutions, while others had had significant political involvement in our national life.
The two founders
One of the founders is the Cypriot George S. Frangoudis (1869-1939), descending from a Limassol family with great historical background.
He studied Law in Athens and Political Sciences in Paris. Having been a globetrotter, after returning to Greece he became a journalist and got involved in politics. In December 1923, he was elected procurator of Athens and Piraeus. In the National Assembly, he was the leader of the reformist group. He was, anyhow, publishing -together with Koutoupis- the newspaper “Metarrythmisis” (“Reform”). He was a friend and associate of El. Venizelos and G. Papandreou.
The other founder is Alexander I. Pantos (1888-1930), descending from a wealthy family of Volos.
He also studied Law in Athens and then Political Science in Paris.
The model for the political science faculty in Greece
Both men studied in “The Free School of Political Sciences in Paris” - in different periods, though, due to their age difference. This School, enhancing free scientific thinking and expression, has always been of great influence to intellectuals. However, the two mens’ paths never crossed. Nevertheless, they shared a common vision. This vision was to establish in Greece a School of Political Sciences similar to the one of Paris.
The first, G. Frangoudis, realised this vision. The second, A. Pantos, before dying, he provided for the realisation of this vision, bequeathing almost all of his property to the cause of establishing in Greece a “School of Political Sciences” modelled on the “Free School of Political Sciences of Paris”.
Promoting his reformative ideas, G. Frangoudis founded in 1924 the "Educational Renaissance" Institute, posing, thus, the idea of necessary reform in Higher Education. He had repeatedly stated:
If it is true that education, and education alone, can recreate fatherland Greece, the foundation of the School (which later became Panteion) will signal the beginning of national regeneration through creating hearths for the study of Greek issues and through introducing a higher education reformative teaching.
To achieve this objective, G. Frangoudis developed "Educational Renaissance" to become the School of Political Sciences. His aspiration was that this School would become for Greece what "Free School of Political Sciences" was for France, namely the spark of renaissance for the French Administration and an institution of worldwide importance. Later, while explaining the rationale underlying the School’s foundation, he wrote:
It was this rationale that lead to the founding of the School of Political, Economic and Social Sciences in which excellent Greeks would be teaching and which will become the High Academy for moral education and for recreation.
On the 2nd of January, the President of the Hellenic Republic admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis was laying the cornerstone of the main building, which is now located in Syggrou Avenue. The construction of the first building was not an easy task. In order to find the necessary funding, G. Frangoudis repeatedly made appeals both in Greece and abroad. He even had to take a trip and persuade the expatriates, mainly in America, to fund the project.
The courses officially begin on the 18th of November 1930, in the presence of Prime Minister El. Venizelos. He aspired to be the first professor of the School and was also its first donor.
The last will of A. Pantos, who died in June of that year, was for a bequest to be established in order for the School of Political Sciences to be founded.
Thanks to the persuasiveness and enthusiasm of the facilitator of the idea G. Fragoudis, but also thanks to the insight and readiness of El. Venizelos, who, as prime minister, executed A. Pantos will, the endowment combines with the building of the "Educational Renaissance" to create the "Panteion School of Political Sciences" in 1931. The initial vision of the two men had now been realised.
The first public discourse introduces the first School of Political Sciences in Greece as envisaged by its two founders, namely as a hearth of free expression of ideas.
These are the famous parliamentary discussions that took place in its auditoria on the 15th, 17th,19th and 22nd of May 1932. Prominent parliamentarians such as G. Papandreou, Minister of National Education, A. Svolos, G. Sgouritsas, Th. Tsatsos, P. Kanellopoulos, etc. participated in these discussions, along with many of the professors of the School.
The Panteion School of Political Science operated as a private legal entity. Its first regulation was passed in 1933.
The regulation provided for the establishment of two departments: 1) The Political-Historical, with ten regular and six temporary seats and 2) the Social-Economical, with nine regular and five temporary seats.
There was a three-year course of studies. The School awarded a bachelor degree and there was also a provision for awarding PhD.
The rich variety of modules and the distinguished members of the first faculty of the School (Amantos, Eyelpides, Kallitsounakis, Keramopoulos, Kanellopoulos, Kougeas, Koutoupis, Louvaris, Sgouritsas, Seferiades, Sideris, Tsatsos and others) contributed to the institution being acknowledged as an independent Institute of Higher Education, equivalent to Universities and other Higher Education Schools.
Panteion School of Political Sciences is declared Higher School of Political Sciences and operates as a private legal entity.
Its objectives are: a) Providing higher political education as well as national and intellectual background to leading officials, having acknowledged their mission and responsibility, for the higher cause of national prosperity and progress, b) Providing political, economic and social education to future public employees, c) Providing further education to public employees, as well as to Law graduates, who are going to teach “Law and Political Economy” in Gymnasiums and Schools of the City, d) Providing political education and education on the causes and objectives of the state to the people, through popularised lectures, studies, research and other educative means,, through raising awareness for the need for discipline, solidarity and cooperation among different social classes, enhancing the spirit of sacrifice for the sake of the collective good, enhancing patriotic morale and fighting against partisanship and, in general, against individualistic and selfish tendencies and ideas.
The school was renamed Panteion Higher School of Political Sciences and Public Employees.
Under Law 540 / 43, the School regains its former name Panteion Higher School of Political Sciences, under which it operated until 1989, and acquires the right to award PhD degrees. Under the same law,
a Department for the education of journalists is established in the School, with the objective of providing the education needed for the journalistic profession and also of further educating those already in this profession.
The Department would operate under a special decree, which however was never issued.
The School is modelled on the usual university administrative structure. The Board is replaced by the Rector, the Senate and the General Assembly of the Professors of the School.
School attendance becomes quadrennial and the Departments of the Faculty are named:
After the restructuring of higher education with the implementation of Law 1268 / 82, the School is divided,in 1983, in three departments (Presidential Decree 462/83). These are:
a) The Department ofPolitical Science and International Studies,
b) The Department ofPublic Administration and
c) the Department of Sociology