Σπουδές

Historical Background

 

►  The history of the Panteion University goes back 90 years, approximately. It is the history of a creative, progressive course associated not only with the course of Higher Education and the development of the Social Sciences in Greece, but also with its broader social transformation and the political life in our country, as well. Two
men associated their names with the concentration, the foundation and the inception of the School. One of them was a Cypriot, coming from a historic Limassol family, Georgios S. Frangoudis (1869-1939), who studied law in Athens and political science in Paris. The second was the son of a well-to-do family from Volos, Alexandros I. Pantos (1888-1930), who also studied law in Athens and then political science in Paris. It so happened that both men studied at the École Libre des Sciences Politiques in Paris, although in different periods because of their difference in age. As a free forum for scientific knowledge and expression, this School exerted a great influence on intellectuals. Even though the paths of these two men never crossed, they had a common vision, which was to establish a School of Political Sciences in Greece like that of Paris. The former, Frangoudis, at one point made this vision a life’s work. The later, Pantos, made the vision possible, as he left virtually his entire estate for the foundation of a School of Political Sciences in Greece after the École Libre des Sciences Politiques in Paris. To promote his reformist ideas, Frangoudis established the Educational Renaissance Society in 1924, thus identifying the areas requiring reforms in education. To realise this goal, G. Frangoudis founded the School of Political Sciences through “Educational Renaissance".  
 
►  The construction of the building started in 1927 and it was the President of the Republic, Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis, who laid the  
foundation stone of the main building which is today located on Syngrou Avenue. Classes began officially on 18.11.1930 in the presence of the Prime Minister Eleftherios Venizelos, who had hoped to be the School’s first 
professor and was its first benefactor. At the same time, the Pantos’ last wish, who died in June of 1930, was of decisive assistance. He wanted a School of Political Sciences to be founded with the bequest he left behind. Thanks to the persuasiveness and enthusiasm of G. Frangoudis, who was the inspirational spirit of the venture, and to the perceptive and energetic nature of Eleftherios Venizelos who, as the Prime Minister, was the executor of Pantos’ will, the bequest was assimilated with the “Educational Renaissance” building in 1931 and thus became Panteios School of Political Sciences. Thus the common vision of the two men became a reality.  
►  Panteios School of Political Sciences operated as a Legal Entity of Private Law and its first departments were passed by law in 1930. There were two departments established: (1) the Department of Politics and History and (2) the Department of Social and Economic Science.  
►  In 1937, it became a public institution with the name “Higher School of Political Sciences”, and henceforth operated as a public institution, which, in 1939, was renamed Panteion Higher School of Political Sciences and Public Service Employees. The staff of the School worked hard on the basis of these constitutional principles to make an impact both on the scientific field of Social Sciences and society itself.  
►  Public debates on issues of more general interest, in addition to the  
scientific conferences, hold at Panteios and being organized on a regular basis, turned into tradition for it. By virtue of Law 540/43, the School reassumed its old name of Panteion Higher School of Political Sciences under which it operated until 1989 and acquired the right to award doctoral degrees. In 1951, traditional university organisation was introduced into the School. Its Board of Governors was replaced by the Vice-Chancellor, the Senate and the General Assembly of the School’s Academic Staff.
  ►  Panteios was recognized as a cradle of freely expressed ideas along the lines envisaged by its founders, particularly after the famous debates on parliamentarism in May, 1932. Among the participants was George Papandreou, Minister of Education at the time, distinguished scientists and students.
  ►  In 1963, the duration of studies expands to four years and the School’s Departments are renamed as that of (1) Political Science and (2) Public Administration.
  ►  The development of the School and
the increasing of students led to the need for more buildings. Thus, in 1964, was George Papandreou, Prime Minister at the time who set the foundation stone for a new building (known today as the Michael Stasinopoulos building), which was finished and inaugurated in 1968.
►  After the reorganisation of higher education under Law 1268/82, in 1983 the School was divided into three Departments (P.D. 462/83): (1) Department of Political Science and International Studies, (2) Department of Public Administration and (3) Department of Sociology.

►  In 1989, in accordance with P.D. 377/89, the School was renamed Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences and consisted of the following Departments:

♦   Department of Political Science and International Studies,
♦   Department of Public Administration,
♦   Department of Sociology,
♦   Department of Urban and Regional Development,
♦   Department of Social Policy and Social Anthropology,
♦   Department of Psychology and
♦   General Department of Law.

►  Then the Department of Political Science and International Studies was divided into two separate departments:

♦   Political Science and History and
♦   International and European Studies.

 
►  The Department of Urban and Regional Development was renamed Department of Economic and Regional Development and the Department of Communication and Media was renamed the Department of Communication, Media and Culture. Finally, the Department of Social  

Policy and Social Anthropology was also divided into two separate departments:

♦   Department of Social Policy and
♦   Department of Social Anthropology.

  ►  The creation of new Departments led to the expansion of the University to a new eight storeys building in the 90’s, which was finished in 1995 and inaugurated by Konstantinos Stephanopoulos, President of the Republic at the time. The University Library was also renovated and covers three storeys of 1750 sq.m. of the original neoclassical building which also houses the Administration Services.
  ►  The Panteion University is a member of European Universities Association (EUA).
  ►  The University aims to provide students with a solid academic education
as well as to equip them with the latest skills in preparation for their professional lives. We pride ourselves on the quality of our teaching as well as on our wide-ranging and innovative study programmes meeting the needs of society, helping to improve the competitiveness of the labor market through master’s and Phd level students as well as the staff development.  

►  The Panteion University authorities create conditions favorable for developing student self-governance while Panteion’s students, through educational, research and community-oriented activities make full use of the privileges granted to them.

 

 

Our Vision
 

►  Panteion University seeks to be a leading global University recognized for excellence in education and research with high standards as well as in offering scientific knowledge and innovation to the Greek society and also the global culture.

 


Our Mission

►  To educate and product scientists and also social and political leaders who will be an asset to the Greek and international society, following the ancient Greek roots and the global developments in scientific knowledge on the basis of a critical thought and a spirit of productive cooperation.

 

 

Our Values
 

♦   Giving priority to teaching and learning through innovation
♦   Stressing critical thinking, communication, interactivity and using of technology

 

♦   Fostering intellectual and scientific development and responsibility
♦   Balancing theory with applications in Social and Political Sciences
♦   Preparing students for acting successfully in a multinational and globalized environment

 


Our Goals


 

♦   Ensure quality and impact of our research and teaching for the Social and Political Sciences community
♦   Promote the spirit of knowledge and innovation in every of our steps
♦   Guide our students to explore their interests, capabilities and develop their intellectual and human potential